Percocet is a drug that has gained a lot of popularity in the market as a reliable pain medication. It is used to relieve both moderate pain as well as severe pain in both children and adults. Percocet has become the pain relieving medication of choice due to its unique composition as a combination drug that optimizes the effects of two individual potent drugs.
The first of these two drugs that are found in Percocet is oxycodone. This is a strong narcotic pain reliever and is the more potent of the components. It is responsible for the distinguishing characteristics of Percocet. The other component drug found in Percocet is acetaminophen. Acetaminophen is also a pain relieving medication, but is not as potent as oxycodone. It main function therefore is to potentiate the effects of the oxycodone.
There are a number of side effects that have been reported by the people who use Percocet as part of their medication. A vast majority of the side effects of Percocet are rather mild and they do not normally require medical attention since they eventually fade off on their own most of the time. it is only in the are event that they last for longer that the time expected without disappearing or showing any sign of diminishing should they be reported to your doctor. You should also report them any time they get severe.
This said, there are however a number of additional side effects that are associated with the consumption of Percocet that are deemed to be a lot more deadly. The list below provides that details of 5 dangerous side effects of Percocet. it is important to take note of the fact that even though this list only cover 5 dangerous side effects of Percocet, this should not be taken to mean that out of all the side effects of the drug, only these five are dangerous.
There are many more side effects that can be very deadly but which are not included in this list of five because only the most commonly reported of the side effects are listed here.
- Confusion – The users of the drug may at times become very confused. The confusion is manifested in unusual behavior or thoughts.
- Seizures – The person using the drug may experience seizures or convulsions. The seizures can be life threatening if they are not attended to in time.
- Urinary Problems – Sometimes the patients taking Percocet medication may experience some problems with urination, such as irregular patterns of the same.
- Fainting – The patients sometimes may begin to feel very light headed and most of the time when this happens, fainting may be the result. in order to avoid fainting, keep off any strenuous activities while under the influence of the drug.
- Shallow Breathing – This is often accompanied by reduced heart rate on the part of the users of Percocet. This side effect can be particularly very dangerous if precautionary and treatment measures are not put in place in good time and may turn out to be fatal in the long run.